28 DEC, 2016
Ayurveda way of oil pulling
In ancient self care regimen of Ayurveda, oil pulling is an essential part of oral cleansing. For swishing, Sesame oil is recommended in classical text and is advised daily. Ayurveda also suggests the use of honey, warm water, sour gruel, sesame paste etc for specific oral diseases.
Ayurveda way of oil pulling-
- One should follow this in the early morning after cleaning the mouth
- Gentle massage on face and neck with suitable oil for 5 minutes
- Mild fomentation with a warm cloth or a steamer on these areas
- Warm oil is preferred for the therapy.( oil can be heated by placing the glass of oil on hot water)
- Fill this gentle warm oil in the oral cavity, as much as one can
- Now hold the oil for few minutes and gargle the oil by moving between the throat teeth and cheeks
- Mouth should face slightly upwards
- Now the person will start getting secretions in the mouth along with medicines
AMOUNT OF OIL TO BE TAKEN FOR SWISHING
Approximately 40-60 ml
Oil quantity is based on one’s oral holding capacity.
This procedure takes around 10-15 minutes. The person should keep the oil in the mouth; till the mouth get completely filled with secretions, eye waters and nasal discharge is experienced. Now it’s the right time to spit out the medicated oil. After the procedure it is advised to clean the mouth with Luke warm water.
- Not recommended for children below 5 years.
- Donot consume /swallow the oil.
- Don’t hold the medicine for more than 20 minutes or once your eye start watering
- Check the temperature of oil before starting the therapy. Temperature shouldn’t exceed your tolerance level.